Saturday, July 19, 2014

Red Devils - 12 Top Hits (Sonocord, 1969, Switzerland)

Red Devils, known before as Les Diables Rouges, were a Beat pop group formed sometime in the mid sixties in Basel, Switzerland. They were the first Helvetic band to play at the mythical Star Club in Hamburg.

The main attraction of this LP is its rarity, mainly because was never issued in their native country and has been kept as a guarded secret until recently. The copy of today was only edited in Spain and in Germany, on the Intercord label.

Musically speaking is an appealing record, containing catchy tunes in the vein of the soft beat/psychedelic pop, with some splashes of barroquism, reminiscent to what practiced groups such as the earlier incarnations of The Bee Gees.

Sober arrangements, angelical harmonies, delightful 60’s organ, gentle drumming and a bit of horns and flutes here and there can only whet my appetite of poppy sugar. And even I ignore what my doctor says about my diabetes I’m a good kiddo.

A full covers album, they made a very decent rendition to the original tracks. Starting with a delightful execution of Barry Ryan’s seminal classic “Eloise”, it continues with the lovely lovely “Sweet Inspiration”, proceeds to the instrumental exoticism of “Soul Coaching” and explodes into the most psychedelic track of the LP: “Why”. A treasure of contemplative lysergia. Other interesting cuts are the moody “Where do you go to my lovely” and the tender Bee Gee’s “First of May”. There’s also time for a goofy interpretation of “Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da”.

Don’t be fooled by my attitude towards my doctor. I balance my levels of insulin with a heavy dose of histrionic punk. Enjoy!

Tracks
A1. Eloisa (Ryan)
A2. Sweet Inspiration (Dennington/Holdham)
A3. Soul Coaxing (Polnareff)
A4. Why (Staple)
A5. You Don’t Know Like I know (Hayes/Porter)
A6. I’ve Gotta Get a Message to You (B.R. & M. Gibb)

B1. Where Do You Go to My Lovely (Starstedt)
B2. Mr. Pitiful (Redding/Cropper)
B3. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da (Lennon/MacCartney)
B4. First of May (B.R. & M. Gibb)
B5. Hold On I’m Comin’ (Hayes/Porter)
B6. Atlantis (Leitch)

Personnel
Markus Schaub: Lead vocals, guitar
Michel Koeb: Bass, guitar, vocals
Hans-Peter Schweizer: Drums, vocals
Peter Wütrich: Organ, piano, trombone
Benny Bopp: Sax, flute, trumpet, vocals


No comments:

Post a Comment